Friday, January 28, 2005

Amazing Guacamole

I found this recipe at this site. I usually buy the little packets of guacamole mix to mix in and then add onion and tomato... but I will try this next time!

* Take two avocados (they should be dark green, and just slightly mushy), cut them in half, pop out the pit and scoop out the flesh with a spoon (easier than trying to peel the slippery things, and you lose less flesh - both from you and the avocado).

* Crush two or three (or eight or sixteen) cloves of garlic (I use about four), and throw that on the avocado.

* Squeeze the heck out of about half a lemon (or about all of a lime), and then go by taste (it's easy to overdo the lemon part). Then mash all this together until it's smooth.

* Chop up a small onion and throw it in (it's easy to over-onion this recipe), along with about half a normal size tomato, (I like to have decent size chunks of onion and tomato, just for texture).

*Give it a little more mashing and stirring, then cover the bowl (did I mention to do this in a bowl? If not, scrape everything off the counter into a bowl) and put it in the fridge. If you give it about an hour, the garlic will seep through and blend the flavors together. If you have a problem with the top layer discoloring, apparently putting one of the pits on top is supposed to help. It never works for me, though.


Comments:
Avocado is the food of the Gods! Love the stuff. Can't eat proper Tex-Mex without it! Plus gobs of sour cream...
 
As a native Texan like Pattie, I grew up on guacamole. When I make it, I push the plastic wrap down onto the top of the dip before refrigerating it, so that no air gets onto it. That seems to reduce the browning. I can happily eat half an avacado this way: I just fill up the depression left by the pit with salsa and lime juice, and grab a spoon. Mmmmm...

On a completely different subject, have you named your new kitty?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here