Monday, April 25, 2005

Passing On

I just found out from my sister Melanie that our grandfather, Francis John Kettyle (Frank) died this afternoon in Victoria, British Columbia. My Nana, Dorothy Kettyle survives him there.

His death was not unexpected as he had taken a bad fall on Valentine's Day, after taking my Nana out for dinner. He fell down some stairs and got a nasty head injury.

My grandfather lived a long, full life. For most of his working career he sold life insurance with London Life. He married my grandmother, Lillian, who was from Ottawa, and they lived in Montreal, where they had two daughters, Carole-Ann (my mother) and Bonnie-Jean (my Aunt). My grandmother died about a year before my mom married my father in 1961.

My mother and father had my sister Dana in March 1962. Meanwhile, my grandfather had remarried Dorothy, my Nana. They had a daughter, Cindy May, in December, 1962. Then I was born in October of 1963. This led to many summers at their cottage in the Laurentians, with Dana, Cindy and myself, summer and winter. I have many fond memories of those years. By the time we were about ten, my Nana, Grandpa and Cindy had moved to Florida, where they stayed until after Cindy had married an American and eventually moved to Colorado with him to start their family and settle there.

Over the years, my mom had some kind of dispute with her father. I tried not to become involved and kept in touch with my grandparents about once a year. The last time they came to Ottawa was when my son Owen was born, probably the summer of 1997. Then, in February of 2000, I took my daughter Zoe out to visit Victoria, where we got to see them for the last time. It just cost too much to go across the country once I was a student.

My sister Kim and her husband Mark went to visit them last summer, so that was probably the last visit from one of our family members. I feel mostly sad for my Nana, she was married to him for over 40 years; now she will be very lonely. I really wish I could go to the funeral, as no other members of my family will probably be going -- but it is very expensive at the last minute to get flights.

Comments:
I'm so sorry for your loss.
 
Our sympathies and prayers go to you and the rest of your family. I know all about not being able to make it across the country for the funeral.
 
I was unable to attend my father's funeral. First I was living half a world away, second his death coinsided with bad weather conditions and many airports were closed and flights cancelled, thirdly it was the christmas holiday season and tickets were not only costly but in most cases impossible to book, fourth the US government had closed down (remember that happened about 9 years ago). It took me a long time to forgive myself and I never felt right until I visited my mom and siblings about 6 months later.

God bless you and give you patience to pull you through this very trying stage in your life. My sympathies are with you and your whole family.
 
Sounds like you have good memories to keep. Keeping him close is just a memory away. My condolences to you. I still miss my PawPaw and he has been gone for 35 years.
 
I sorry to read of your loss. My thoughts are with you.
 
Lisa,
Oops, posted a comment in the wrong post. I meant to say here that I am sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. My prayers go out to your grandmother and the rest of your clan.
Kim of Relaxed Homeskool
 
Hi Lisa, I sent an e-mail to you yesterday and I hope you got it. I miss my Uncle Frank. Yes Aunt Dorothy misses him greatly. My Dad phones her a lot and I also need to give her a call. It was to bad we were unable to go to the funeral. Neither my Dad or I keep vert well and the trip for either of us would have been risky. I hope we can make some contact and I sure would like to have a connection with your Mom (my cousin). Take Care
David
 
I knew your grandfather and grandmother well. They used to come to my parents' house (with Carole and Bonnie) in Plattsburgh, NY quite often. I'm quite sure Lillian was related to my mother, but I'm not quite sure how. I remember Frank and Lillian singing together. I visited them in Montreal several times. After Lillian died and Frank married Dorothy, they used to come to Plattsburgh to visit. Cindy was a sweet little girl and she was always dressed so beautifully. One time, before Frank and Dorothy were married, Frank invited me (and a friend) to stay at his house in Montreal for the weekend. He took us skiing and to a very fancy restaurant.

I thought I'd heard that Bonnie had passed away, but I may be wrong.

I'm still living in Plattsburgh, am a retired second-grade teacher, and an author of four novels. You can read more about me on my website bonnieshimko@verizon.net.

It's strange. I was working on a crossword puzzle and just started to wonder about Frank. Then I found your blog.

All best wishes,
Bonnie (Bennett) Shimko
 
P.S. correction: website is bonnieshimko.net
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here