Friday, August 12, 2005

But seriously...

I have a couple of dilemmas... if anyone out there has some advice, tell me what you'd do:

Problem A -

At my grandfather's funeral in June, I met a distant relative (my mom's cousin) who lives far away. We exchanged email addresses and she emails me several times a week, which I can deal with. The problem is that often the emails she sends me are downright offensive to me - often racist in nature. So far, I just don't respond to these messages. What really bothers me is that she trumpets the factc that she is a "born again Christian" and is always preaching... but I don't find her emails very "Christian". Should I tell her that I don't appreciate her sense of humour?

Problem B -

I went out the other night with my daughter, her friend, and her friend's father to see a movie. When he found out that I was a family law lawyer, he asked me if I could help him with some information as he separated from his wife in the fall. What's the problem? His wife (whom I have met a few times through the girls) emailed me today asking me for legal help. It is clear by our law society rules that I can't represent two people in the same case, but more problematic is that while I don't know either of them well, they are both parents to one of my daughters friend..... Should I help them?

Any suggestions welcome!

Comments:
1 - complain about her sense of humour.

2 - give the two refferals to someone else
 
To heck with them: help me instead!
 
If you haven't the heart to tell her that her "jokes" are offensive you could fib and tell her that you don't have enough server room for jokes and ask her to limit her emails to just personal notes.

As far as the legal advice (and don't you hate when people ask you for free advice because they know you have specialized knowledge) I think you should be forthright: "I'm sorry but your spouse has also asked me for advice and I can't help either or you because that would put me in a conflict of interest, but here's so-and-so's number, they're an excellent lawyer"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here