Monday, August 08, 2005

Keep On Working...

I seem to have this knack for talking people out of hiring me. Today, I had at least 5 messages on my desk for potential cases to work on. I spent the morning calling them... The problem is that once I hear their sad tales, I usually end up telling them how to solve their own problems... (aka... "you don't really need a lawyer, you just need some backbone...")

For example, there is a person who is having trouble with a neighbour. In another case, a woman is trying to convince her ex-husband to create a separation agreement without going to court. In another, a retired person wants to move in with someone but is afraid they will put their assets at risk.

I usually try to go through their options with them and refer them to counseling or something.

Of course, I tell them that if they discover they need a lawyer in the end, they can call me back... but meanwhile, I guess I should be convincing them that they DO in fact, need a lawyer and booking them in for an appointment...

I am not really a salesperson... and am used to being a social worker... (ie. getting people to help themselves solve their problems). This is going to take some getting used to.

Comments:
That makes you a wonderful person, if perhaps not the richest lawyer in the city.
 
What a refreshing change you are! I will have to trash my bad lawyer jokes! (Or, perhaps they are just nicer and more principled in Canada?)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here