Friday, July 29, 2005

Off to China!

What a week! Sarah finally made a decision after many weeks of indecision. She is heading to China to teach English for a year. She has her passport, she has applied for her visa, she gave her final notice at her job and she has purchased her ticket to Shanghai. She leaves on Aug. 18th!

After receiving several offers in June, she backed off - I think she was overwhelmed at the immediacy of it. But after thinking it all over, she decided to accept one of the contracts. She will be teaching English in a high school near Shanghai. They provide a residence on site for teachers which includes some meals which I think is great.

Sarah has to clean out her room - meaning clean up the garbage! I have asked her to pack her stuff that she wants to keep and we will store it for her in the basement. If she comes back, she can have another room in the basement. Oliver will probably move into her room.

Meanwhile there is emotional fallout here. Dorothy is quite upset that Sarah is actually leaving... they have gotten pretty close over the years even though they are so different. She said, "even though Sarah is SO annoying sometimes, I will actually miss her!".

I am kind of sad too -- it's the first time one of my own kids will actually move out. (I know, she may come back) but it feels very strange. I am also worried about Zoe and Owen's reactions once it hits home with them. Overall very emotional times around here.

Comments:
Good luck to Sara!

I hope she enjoys her time teaching English in a foriegn country. It is hard work - but it is rewarding - especially when you have a student who in the beginning has no English whatsoever and by the time you finish with them they are at a high enough level to study in a university in an English speaking country. A very nice feeling!
 
The internet makes the world a much smaller place - you may find you 'see' more of your daughter when she is away than you would if she was living in the same house.
 
Good luck to her. I love teaching English to non-English speakers and only wish that I had had a chance to teach abroad before I had a family.

Tell her she ought to blog or journal about her experiences, she's bound to have and interesting time.
 
Congrats to Sarah, that's fabulous, my brother headed off to Turkey to teach English midway through university and it changed his life. (Of course he never came back, but I'm sure that won't be an issue with Sarah :) )
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here