Friday, March 31, 2006

Happenings...

Thursday was teacher interviews... we only went to the boy's interviews as there was the most concern there. Zoe didn't bother booking interviews with her teachers, as they don't have time to see all of the parents, and they want to focus on the kids who are struggling. Zoe was spoken to by her grade 11 biology teacher -- remember - she is in grade 10 - and told she has the highest mark in the class! A 96! We were impressed.

Owen's marks are all over the map - somewhat low due to not finishing work. It doesn't bother me - as we have made the decision that he won't attend full-time. So if he can get a B average by attending part-time, that's ok with me.

Oliver is doing ok. Apparently he's doing really well in Geography (ie. top of the class), but the teacher doesn't want to tell him, as he fears that Oliver will then slack off. He is not doing terribly well in Science, but can pass if he does the work.

This morning I took my mom to the doctor and we did a few errands. Then we had a nice lunch at Montana's - salad with skewers of grilled salmon! The salad was full of fruits...Yummy.

I had to go to the office for a few hours this afternoon. Then we ran to pick up Owen and Dorothy at her workplace. Owen had spent the day with her as he had the day off school. We dropped Owen off at his dress rehearsal downtown and then headed home.

Tonight we are heading over to Ruth's to watch a movie. Tomorrow we are invited to a wedding for some friends of ours. A second marriage for both of them... it should be fun!

Sunday I am helping to host a youth group visiting Ottawa from Canton, NY. We visited them back in January - now they are reciprocating. We will be serving them a lunch of salad, samosas and spring rolls. It will be fun to get to know them some more.

Next week I am heading to New York City for 5 days. More later on this exciting event.

Comments:
I apologize, but my teacher status makes me feel entitled to comment on posts about education:
I don't know Oliver, obviously, but my question to his teacher is: what's wrong with positive reinforcement? If the teacher has all these paradigms in which he/she expects him to fail, he'll probably walk into a paradigm and meet the teacher's expectations.

Why not expect Oliver to succeed, and reward him when he does so?

Just my completely uninformed opinion.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here