Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Owen has 3 "Dads"

John and I were living together/married for about 15 years, and had 4 kids together. After we split up, I "dated" Andrew, who was an old friend of mine for over ten years. He has three kids... and we moved in together for a couple of years. I got to know his daughter Erica really well (she actually lived with me for about a year before her dad and brothers moved in) and she is off at university now. I still think of her as my "step-daughter". During our relationship, Andrew became very close to two of my daughters... Dorothy and Zoe. He continues to spend time with them, but as they get older they are busy with their own lives. Recently he has shown an interest in Owen (probably because he is not a little kid anymore, now he is 7). They went swimming the other night to the wave pool, and he wants to take him skating.

Owen brought home an invitation from school for a winter carnival activity and they are looking for volunteers. Now, Owen knows better than to invite me to something outdoors in winter (I HATE WINTER), he realizes I wouldn't be caught dead skating or sledding. But he really wanted someone to come, so I said, why don't you ask Andrew? He loves skating and outdoor activities in winter. (He was a cub leader for years when his boys were younger)

So I asked Andrew if he'd like to volunteer at Owen's school and of course he was thrilled. He wondered what to tell the school (ie. is he "uncle" Andrew, or mom's ex boyfriend, or Owen's stepfather, which is a bit weird as the school knows that Eric is Owen's stepfather!). Then he had a brilliant idea... he said we could get John (the dad) to come too, and then the school might make an assumption that he was John's partner. That made me laugh.

Over at John's, he has a girlfriend that I used to work with, and I know she is really nice. I think Owen is lucky to have so many adults in his life who care about him.



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here