Friday, March 25, 2005

The Meaning of Easter?



First, I want to say that I was raised in a Christian household, attending an Evangelical church. My mother was very involved in the church, as the pianist, choir leader, youth leader, etc. One of the problems that I had was that we were forced to go, it was not a choice, and we were usually there 3-4 times a week. So, by the time I was 14, I was fed up, and not open to Christianity any longer. That being said, I still entered adulthood believing in some kind of God, Godess, or supreme spiritual power. But I certainly felt that it was up to me to introduce these subjects to my children in my own way. Well...

We had an interesting conversation at our dinner table last night. My dad, Dorothy, Zoe, Owen and myself were halfway through our meal talking about the traditions of hiding Easter eggs. At one point, Zoe asked about the history of Easter. I responded by talking about Ostara, the ancient pagan beliefs of fertility, and how eggs and rabbits were connected.

Owen interrupted me and said, "I know the true meaning of Easter". We all looked towards him and listened. He said... "Jesus, God's son, sacrificed his life to die for our sins. After three days, he rose from the grave and then went to heaven to live with his father."

My dad asked "do you know how he died?".

Owen said "Bad people killed him on a cross."

Because of my past issues with religion during my childhood, I had never told him this story. Curious, I asked him who had told him this. He said he learned about it at school where they are learning about "Celebrations".

I thought this was pretty interesting for a public school. My dad asked him if they had learned about Passover, Chanukah, or Ramadan. He said "No." I have to say this caused me some concern.

I am thinking about whether I should contact his teacher to discuss this.

Comments:
Lisa, I cannot speak for my Canadian neighbors, but I can tell you the recent advancing of the fundamentalist Religious Right here in the States is a scary picture. Suddenly, everywhere one turns, the decision of whether you see an Imax film that supports the truth of evolution or see a history channel television program is being censored by Big Brother who knows whats best for me and my family. Has sanity totally left our civilized world? Yes, it would seem so.

Pattie
 
There are those groups here too, though not as numerous as the US... but there is still a segment of Canadian society that is conservative (the British background, I guess)... the vast majority of Canadians are more liberal and open minded (I think)
 
Coming from a public school, that woul d be a little unbalanced!
Kim C. of RH
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here