Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Losing a Friend...



Zoe, Sarah and I went to see the new RENT movie on Monday night. Having seen it live twice (including once on Broadway) I wasn't sure if the movie could live up to the stage show.

It did.

What an absolutely amazing movie/show. If you want to hear great music, this is the movie of the year. Warning: you have to be open minded, non-judgmental and have a warm heart to appreciate this movie.

In case you don't know about RENT, the plot starts in Greenwich Village in New York City on Christmas Eve of 1989. The story focuses on the lives of a group of friends who live in abandoned warehouses that may be torn down. We see poverty in their lives and in the lives of the many homeless people in the movie. As the story unfolds, we find out about how HIV has hit the Bohemian community. This story raises awareness about HIV and AIDS, and tells a largely untold story about how various people have contracted HIV. For example, the story shows how women have become infected and how they may infect their heterosexual partners. Some of the characters have gotten HIV because of the use of drugs and their story is told from a perspective of loss and desperation.

One of the most moving scenes is during one song where they are showing the "Life Support" group meeting... and it flashes to various other scenes which show summer passing... with the song "Another Day" playing... (here are some of the lyrics)

I can't control
My destiny
I trust my soul
My only goal is just
To be
There's only now
There's only here
Give in to love
Or live in fear
No other path
No other way
No day but today...

I think the film meant even more to me this week as I have a friend who is going through the agony of losing one of his children. His son, who is in his twenties, has cancer and there appears to be no hope of recovery at this point. I feel so sad for all of them... I cannot imagine how my kids would survive the loss of one of their siblings. Life is sometimes so hard, so painful, it is just awful being powerless to help. As one of my co-workers said today "I guess all we can do now is pray." My prayer tonight is that this beautiful person doesn't suffer any more. And that his family has the strength to survive this ordeal.


Comments:
So sad to hear about that young person.

I have been wanting to see "Rent" - hubby doesn't seem too interested, but maybe my youngest daughter would enjoy it...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here