Thursday, December 15, 2005

Big day in court!



Yeah... that's me... I am now offficially a "real" litigator. I was in court yesterday, presenting my first real motion. For those of you who don't know "legalese", a motion is when you make an argument in front of a judge -- generally you are asking for relief or help from the judge, like requesting a court order. Next the other side gets to make their argument, then the judge makes a decision. Ideally, they make an order in your favour.

It was soooo nerve wracking. I had a bit of a panic attack on Monday night, but several experienced lawyers talked me through it and after working hard on Tuesday preparing for the motion, I felt pretty good on Wednesday morning as I went into court.

In the end, I won! Not only did we get the orders we were asking for, we also won "costs", which means that the other side has to pay me a hefty amount of money, 'cause they were being darn unreasonable about the issue at hand. I can't mention what it was about, but it is the first real step in a case which looks like it will last for one or two years. And did I mention that we won? Yay!

Comments:
Congratulations Lisa! Good for you!
 
WooHoo you won! Now you can advertise your 100% success rate!!!
 
Congratulations!!
I'm all giddy here for you!
 
I just tagged you! Hope you can play along:)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here