Wednesday, January 19, 2005

They Just Don't Get It.

Seriously, I can’t believe how much teens today take everything for granted. I don’t just mean their parents, their houses where they have their own bedroom, hot showers everyday, three meals, their educational opportunities, their dance lessons, wave pools, music lessons and sports, their allowances or part-time jobs, their summer vacations, their friends, the movie theaters, the free libraries, the television, cable, and most incredibly, their access to the internet. Sometimes I would like to drag my kids to another country, say, India, for a few months to make them change their attitudes of entitlement.

When Eric and I moved in together over a year ago, we carefully planned logistics and found a house that was flexible enough to create a bedroom of some kind for each kid. We set up a “rec” room in the basement with one of the tvs and Eric’s playstation. We figured that we would need one functioning computer (Eric’s old laptop) for the kids to share, plus a printer. In addition, Eric has a laptop for his own use (ie. Work and projects) and I have one for my school/work.

Last summer, the kids’ computer died. So, it made sense to give them my laptop (the next oldest machine) and I got a newer one for my new career. We noticed at the time that certain kids (ie. Sarah) were being very hard on the computer. (ie. Leaving it randomly on the floor to be stepped on, leaving it on all night, falling asleep with it on their laps) We pointed out at that time that if they weren’t careful, they wouldn’t have a computer – that if this one got wrecked – we would not be getting another one anytime soon.

So last week, the kid’s computer stopped working. It won’t even start. I know I have the original disc for it somewhere, but I don’t have time to look for it. It may be salvageable. Who knows? But in the meantime, we have extended limited use privileges to Amelia and Zoe because they are attending high school and need computers to do their homework.
So Sarah is pissed. She has bee stomping around for a week about it not being fair, etc. I said – too bad – get your own computer – after all she works full time. She has more money than I do these days. The bottom line my kids need to learn …

It is not a right to have access to the internet… it is a privilege.

Comments:
Moving to the 3rd world isn't going to help. Computers, satelite TV, walkmans, internet, etc. etc. exist most everywhere nowadays. With satelite TV, 3rd world kids learn to behave with the same attitudes that kids in the west do. It's a global problem - I don't see an end.
 
I like to think there is some hope...after all I am a teenager, granted barely, and I don't really feel that way...
 
actually my daughter dorothy, age 21, is a fantastic person... she is a kind, caring individual, and spontaneously helps clean up! (now that in my mind is a sign of true maturity)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here