Thursday, March 31, 2005

Love is In the Air...



There are finally signs of spring around here. Sarah, my 19 year old, has fallen for a new boy named Dylan. So far I like Dylan, mostly because he is close to her age, smells decent (ie. clean) and greeted me with a smile when we met. He also graduated from high school, which to me shows some kind of fortitude. She had broken up with her old boyfriend about a week earlier, with much weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth. He was a nice enough guy, but he was about ten years older... way ahead of her developmentally.

At around the same time, Amelia has finally found her soul mate. His name is Rob and he must be about 6 feet tall... which is very cute, because she is not quite 5 feet. I don't know him well yet, but he has graduated from high school too. Amelia has stated for years that she isn't interested in boys or dating. Things have really changed for her this past six months, what with getting a job and actually attending school on a regular basis.

Over the long weekend, Sarah and Amelia both "snuck" their boys in overnight. I say "snuck" because they did not ask permission. The rule is pretty straightforward... I gotta know who is sleeping under my roof. This rule is based on several things... like: if there is a fire and we want to know if everyone made it out. Or, what if some parent is looking for their errant child? (I've had to deal with this many times)

I tried not to be too hard on them, because they are "twitterpated" and I remember those feelings. The early, heady days of love... so fragile and naive. In both cases, they stayed up all night, talking. (Ok, they were making out too)

Generally our kids have been pretty good about "sleepovers" whether with boys or girls. Meaning, they don't have them very often, and when they do, we sort out the logistics and permission ahead of time. As well, so far, with the exception of Eric's eldest daughter Elizabeth who doesn't live with us, none of the girls have been sexually active until over age 18. Hopefully Amelia will make it to her 18th birthday in June!





Comments:
Oh dear, oh dear! You have had time to adjust to this boyfriend thing. At this point in time, the idea of my kids being in love frightens the heck out of me. They get really goofy (if I recall from my own experience) and NOTHING else matters....family, jobs, your own ideals. Man,I'm worried. Ok...I've got maybe 5 to 8 years to gear up for it. So I'll just keep reading your blog for tips!
Happy Spring!
Kim of RH
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here