Sunday, May 08, 2005

another day, another bar b q...

Finally we had enough good weather to have a bar b q. Last night, my dad put together tins of potatoes, onions and veggies with lots of garlic, while I made pork tenderloin. Yummy!

Tonight my daughter Zoe said "can't we have something basic like hamburgers?" So we did. These burgers were not as good as the last ones we had, but they were ok.

What did we do all weekend? Friday night we just relaxed... we are usually so tired from the week that we just hang around. Saturday, I finally cleaned up the back yard (at least enough so that we could use the bar b q) and Eric went and bought a new propane tank for the big event. I really need to mow the law in the back yard - all that extra "fertilizer" from the puppy all winter has made the grass about 5 times longer in the back yard than in the front yard.

Today was our last JR OWL day. We did a program evaluation and said goodbye to the youth (who will now be invited to join the youth group). Next weekend, the youth group is holding a "bridging" event, which includes a coffee house and "wakeover" for the new young youth from JR OWL so that they can see what youth group is like if they want to join. I am hoping Zoe will enjoy it so she might have another social group to be a part of.

I got interviewed by the youth group today for a Youth Advisor position. Even though I told them that I probably couldn't do it, as I don't have the extra time what with OWL. We will see. They asked me who my favorite Beatle was - I said Ringo. I used to be a drummer - and I like underdogs.

Comments:
That's a good interview question! I like underdogs too but John was my fave. I guess, depending on the answer, you'd know the person's age too.

Kim Relaxed Homeskool
 
1. Ringo is totally my favorite too
2. You must tell me how you barbie pork tenderloin. I need an alternative to roasting.
3. I have KILLER pictures of my irises. Want one?
 
Canadians sure do strange barbecue!
(pronounced bobba cue)

First you get a large sack of good charcoal. Saturate the brickettes with starter fluid. Once you have some nice red hot, slightly still fiery coals, add some mesquite wood chips that have been soaked in either Jack Daniels Black or plain apple juice.

For most any meat I use, I rub it heartily with some Stubbs barbecue rub. Then, I make a marinade out of Whats-this-here-sauce (Worchester), fresh minced garlic, brown sugar, lemon or lime juice, liquid smoke, and any other seasonings you wish ( if cooking Tex-Mex, you need to add fresh cilantro and/or cumin and chili powder.) Let the meat marinate overnight for best flavor.

When your coals are ready, add the meat to the grill, and on the side next to the meat, I add an oven-proof bowl of pineapple juice, or apple juice, or some Jack Daniels. This juice will steam while the lid is closed on the grill. Adds a lot of flavor and moisture to the meat. (I use the same bowl over and over, rinsed out after each cook-out. The bowl is totally black on the outside, so don't use a good 'un).

For extra treat, we sometimes slice sweet fresh pineapple sprinkle on top with a bit of brown sugar and grill it for just a few minutes until the bottom side is warm and just brown on the edges. Yummy with pork or chicken.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here