Wednesday, June 15, 2005

We're Back!

(I didn’t get any other chances to post anything while away, so here is a summary of what we did all week!)

Thursday…
Eric’s dad drove us to downtown Vancouver, where we met with my friend Peggy for lunch. After that, my auntie Pat picked us up, and we went together by ferry over to Vancouver Island. On the way, we saw a huge pod of orcas (aka killer whales). It was so amazing – one even jumped right out of the water, so we got a great view. On the ferry, I bought a beautiful t-shirt with native art on it. We met a friend of Pat’s on the ferry who is a minister at the Vancouver Unitarian church, so we ended up giving her a ride into Victoria.

We arrived at my friend Eileen’s around dinner time and she took us out to a fantastic pub nearby, called “Pennyfarthing Pub”. My aunt was extra happy, as she lives on Pennyfarthing Lane. The food was great as was the company.

Friday…
Eileen took us out to breakfast to an amazing restaurant called “Vista 18” which is located at the top of a hotel in downtown Victoria. It has a spectacular view of the entire Victoria area. Then we got ready to go to the memorial service for my grandfather.

The memorial service was exactly as I expected it to be, and it brought back many memories of attending church in Montreal when I was very young. The service was organized entirely by the Gideon’s (the organization that puts bibles into hotels), because my grandpa was a long time member of that group. There were his favorite hymns, a soloist, and lots of people sharing memories from his long life. The highlight was that they played a recording of two songs that my grandfather and his first wife Lillian (my mom’s real mom) sang in Los Angeles during the second world war for the American troops. When I mentioned at the reception afterwards that my mom would love to hear this (she did not attend the memorial), my aunt Pat jumped up and made it her mission to get a copy from the head of the Gideons. They had it to us within the hour.

Then family members went back to my grandmothers’ place, and later some of us went out to dinner. It was very nice to see so many old family members and friends after at least twenty years. Many memories of times past were shared.

Saturday…
Saturday morning Eilleen was having a yard sale and so I went around and found a few great bargains. Eric thought I was nuts to want to carry more on the plane back, but I got Owen a huge tub of lego for $10, dress pants for me for $1 and a beautiful set of cutlery for $5. (we really need cutlery). Then we headed back to Vancouver by ferry and Pat dropped us off in North Vancouver by dinner time, to stay with Eric’s brother Andrew and his wife Nancy.

Eric’s brother ordered the most sushi I have ever seen – and it was delicious! I have never tasted Sushi like this before. Some cooked, some not. They have three children (ages 3, 5 and 7) who were lots of fun.


Sunday…
Eric’s mom Gloria, and her husband Ian came over for lunch, brining their beautiful husky with them. Andrew got Chinese food for lunch – it was delicious. Later for dinner they made incredible fish. We really ate well. At night, we got to watch the Incredibles for the first time – it was pretty good.

Monday…
We were taken up Grouse mountain in a gondola for the morning. It would have been an incredible view except for the huge fog that had set in. It was 5 degrees Celsius, but felt like below zero – because of the incredible humidity – like being inside a cloud. It was fun, though, we got to see real wolves and bears in a “habitat” that had been set up for them. Apparently these were rescued animals.

After lunch, Andrew drove us to the Vancouver Aquarium. Here we saw the most amazing tanks of tropical fish I have ever seen, including freshwater and salt water. There was a tank of jellyfish that looked just like the ones in Finding Nemo! Plus, we got to observe seven beluga whales for over an hour. They were just amazing – and quite a bit smaller than we thought they would be.

Pat came and picked us up at 5pm and we went over to her fantastic apartment in Vancouver. With a spectacular view, she lives right beside Granville Island. We had a nice dinner there, and went back in the morning for a bit of last minute shopping.

Tuesday…
Headed back – almost missed our flight in Calgary – luckily it was delayed so we made it – but we didn’t get home until around 2 am. Still haven’t gotten used to the time changes!! I am just tired. And it’s pouring here – so I guess we brought back the west coast weather with us.

Comments:
Welcome back, thanks for bringing us all this rain and humidity ;) Sounds like a great trip (under the circumstances)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here