Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Weekend Report

Eric is on holiday for a couple of weeks.... so I have asked him to help with cooking a bit as I am the one who has to get up and go to work. (Mind you, I shouldn't complain, as I get a "holiday" with Zoe this Wednesday as we prepare to leave for New York City),

Yesterday was very busy as I had to get some work done, get groceries... then I went to my friend's house to help prepare for a memorial service (food prep)... the actual service started almost two hours late, which made us almost two hours late for our dinner invitation last night... luckily, our evening people didn't mind we were late, and we enjoyed the evening with friends eating pizza, drinking wine and watching "National Treasure". This was a pretty good movie and since we have been reading The Davinci Code (and watched Kingdom of Heaven recently)... it all makes some sense... there are some common threads between these various stories... such as Templar Knights, Masonic Lodges, Hidden Treasure, plus of course, lots of evil bad guys.

Today was heaven as I had very little concrete plans... so we played some games... we have a new game called "Carcassonne" - it's a French game (not in French, but from France!) and we have been playing it quite a bit lately. It's fun for any age - and even Owen, age 8, played it twice today - and enjoyed it (probably cause he won once).

I cooked some bbq chicken for dinner with cooked carrots... while Eric made his family's famous potato salad - which basically were mashed potatoes with tons of mashed eggs mixed in, plus some miracle whip and onions. My comment was that I am not that fond of mashed potatos, but this made it more interesting. The potato salad that I have enjoyed in the past was quite chunky with more ingredients, such as carrots and pickles. I just usually think potato salad is boring.

If you have any recipes for potato salad or pasta salad, please share them!

Comments:
Its not so much as a recipe - I think its fairly boring but its a secret...shhhhhhhhhhh... don't tell

You use Miracle Whip instead of mayonaise - it makes such a major difference!! So, here is the recipe:

8 potatos
8 hard boiled eggs
Miracle whip to put it all together
1 onion
1 green pepper

Mix it all together and and mix it with a little Paprika and put some more Paprika on top and Voila!! You have a boring but really really good potato salad.

Seriously, I know it sounds boring but I'm telling you Miracle Whip makes WAY better of a potato salad!!

Enjoy!
 
Cold Pasta Salad

* 2 cups coloured rotini, cooked
* 2 cups finely diced tomato
* ½ cup finely diced green pepper
* 1 finely chopped onion (or green onion)
* ¼ cup finely chopped celery

Sauce:

* 2/3 cup sugar
* 1 tbsp salad oil
* 1/3 cup ketchup
* ¼ cup vinegar
* 1 tsp salt
* ½ tsp pepper
* ¼ tsp paprika

Combine all ingredients. This salad is best if refrigerated overnight.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here