Wednesday, September 14, 2005

No - No - Notary Public

Yesterday was a whirlwind of fun at the office. I had about 5 requests for Notary services and they were all different types of requests so I learned alot. The other countries or jurisdictions involved included: England, India, Singapore, Quebec and Nunavut.

The funniest moment was when one woman asked me if we could change the date on the notarial certificate. I asked her why... she said, "It's the 13th - it's bad luck!"

I told her that unfortunately we weren't allowed to do that - but that she could come back tomorrow if she wanted to! (she decided to stick with the 13th)

Comments:
yes, in Canada only lawyers can be notary publics - I heard that in the US pharmacists do it too - here we do allow clerks to be commissioners - which is used if its within Ontario - notary is apparently for things outside this jurisdiction - the prices are all over the map - I have heard of lawyers charging from $20-80 for notary services...

re: passports - the guarantor is supposed to swear they have known you for two years or more - but its funny cause you can go to a lawyer if you don't know anyone and get a substituted thingy to replace it...
 
I think it is to vouch for their identity...aka security reason... and I am assuming if people use the alternate affidavit from a lawyer the passport application is scrutinized more by the passport office. I know they scrutinize more if it's a separated/divorced couple (to protect agains international child abduction)
 
They also check the guarantor's credentials too, when I was picking up James' passport a couple of years ago (and damn was that a PITA to get) the person at the kiosk next to us had her passport denied because her guarantor was a RETIRED engineer who had let his professional association membership lapse.

Glad you finally got the notary business straightened out :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here