Monday, February 13, 2006

Face Piercings?

I think last weekend I was having a bout of depression linked to the death of our friend's son. Our kids aren't so far from his age, and it hit hard. I had to keep the office going for a couple of days, but when Saturday arrived, for the first time I had a chance to actually think about it all. I was very touchy and upset all day, and when my daughter Sarah walked in around 11 pm with a FACE PIERCING I totally lost it.

This is the kid who told me a few nights earlier she was going to look for a better job. Like maybe in an office. Now the tally of her self decoration includes 3 tattoos (all in places you can't see), about 8 ear piercings, and a stud below her lip. *sigh* I have always respected her choices in the past, but this time I somehow couldn't stand what she had done.

Later on I apologized to her - yes - it's her body - yes - she is over 18 - it's her life etc... blah blah blah... but it reminded me of how I felt when Amelia quit her job a few months ago. I feel like shaking them or hitting them over the head with a metaphysical two-by-four.

They are goofing off - wandering around with no direction in their lives - whining about how crappy things are - with no initiative, no real plans - no goals. They have no idea that life is precious, a gift, and something to celebrate. At least Dorothy and Zoe have some plans, some initiative... although they tend to be more anxious/depressed than Sarah and Amelia.

I guess they are just acting like teenagers. And I guess I am acting like an old fogey. Crap.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here