Thursday, January 12, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

Carrie had made an interesting post about whether or not people should see this controversial movie, which portrays a sexual relationship between two cowboys. My take on her post is that it is hypocritical for Christians to complain about homosexuality as a sin and then remain silent when other sins are portrayed in movies (such as adultery). I have great respect for her views and encourage people to check it out and respectfully comment.

One of the things that I said was that I am much more concerned about violence portrayed in movies than sexuality. I think it is much more harmful for our children and for our society to glorify or minimize any kind of violence, while meanwhile condemming a film because it portrays human sexulity in all of its many variations and frailties.

When I see a movie which has any gay characters, what I am looking at is how these people are portrayed. Are they "gay" stereotypes who gush all the time, wear flamboyant clothes and speak with a lisp? Are they cross dressers or drug users? Are they promiscuous? Are they only used as secondary, comic characters? Or are they shown as integral family members who are just as much a part of the plot as the heterosexual characters?

Every gay or lesbian person I have gotten to know in my life is a normal average person who works at a grocery store, a government office, is a doctor, a teacher, a parent, a grandmother. They suffer from human weakness just like all of us do. Their sexuality is a private matter that is nobody elses business - not something that should be an issue... ever.

So I don't know if I will go to see this movie. I have several friends who are curious to go see it. I think I will read a review first and then decide. I certainly am happy to see famous actors involved in such a production which will certainly help it gain some legitimacy in the broader community.

Comments:
Sage and I definitely want to see this. Any movie we've seen by Ang Lee (with the possible exception of The Hulk) we have really enjoyed. His movie, The Wedding Banquet, produced in 1993, is as far as I know his first attempt at portraying a gay couple and he did a wonderfully sensitive job. If I had to base my decision on the movie based on his filmography (which I am doing), I would go without question.
 
Delurking. Letting you know I'm still around and reading!

Tenn
 
This is a thoughtful post. I love Ang Lee (and had managed to make it to this point in my life without even knowing he did The Hulk. Oy.) and would watch the film because it's Ang Lee and cowboys. My hope is that it's a good enough movie that the hype (the gay part of the gay cowboy thing) isn't the only thing you take away from it.
 
What a great post!
My friend is gay,and Christian
and she's having a very hard time of it now.
Your words would bring her great comfort I'm sure.
 
Old stereotypes are hard to erase. Kman refuses to go see it, but I am even if it means a lone trek. More popcorn for me anyway.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here