Friday, September 23, 2005

Meet the Teacher Night

Thursday was the meet the teacher night at our kids' high school. The way it works is that you are supposed to go to an assembly and then "experience" your child's day by attending each of their 4 classes for about 15 min. each. The only problem is that we have three kids attending this school, in grades 9, 10 and 12.

There was no way we could visit each teacher so we agreed to split ourselves between the two younger kids' classes. I was able to catch one of Zoe's teachers before the event began so during that class time I snuck into Oliver's art class where I found Eric and his ex, Deb.

The art teacher asked me as I entered "And who do you belong to?". I hesitated, and started saying something like "It's a bit complicated... I am Oliver's..." At that moment, Deb interrupted me and said... "She isn't a parent. She's just a guardian."

The poor teacher looked confused and there were lots of other parents looking on, so I didn't say anything. Later that night when we were home, the teacher emailed Eric and it seemed like maybe she had misunderstood who was with who, as she addressed the message to Eric and Deb. He responded, and clarified that Oliver was living with him and his partner (me).

I told Oliver what his mom had said about me, and he thought it was cool that I am his "Guardian"... we agreed that it sounds like some kind of character in a video game and that I probably needed some kind of cool weapon so I could do a good job in protecting him. (Remember, this kid is 14!!)

I do feel sorry for the teachers having to try to keep it all straight, what with half of the kids coming from "blended families" these days. But hey, I think its great that kids have more adults in their lives. The more the better is what I say.

Meanwhile, after meeting Zoe's teachers, I came home and reported back to her. She said "What did you think?" And I replied... "Boy you sure have some hot teachers!" She looked at me like I was nuts. Then I said, "...and if I weren't heterosexual, I would say that your civics teacher (a woman) is pretty hot too."

In other news... Oliver told me today that he has applied to be on the student council (in grade 9 you apply by getting 5 teachers and 5 students to sign your nomination sheet). I was very proud as I casually had mentioned the idea to him about two weeks ago. I think I am having a subtle influence on this kid. :)

Comments:
Not any more stable is she?

We're made a concious effort around here not to use "step". No step-dad, no step-mom, just mom and dad and mom and dad. It's not easy but we believe it's what's best for J.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here