Monday, October 24, 2005

Arabic Simpsons Aired

We saw on the news the other night that an Arabic version of the Simpsons has been produced, taking the original animation from the first season of the Simpsons and dubbing Arabic voices. They have changed a lot of unacceptable content, such as the mention of alcohol and pork.

I am kind of wondering about this idea - why don't they just produce some Arabic comedies which show Arabic families struggling with life? It reminds me of the Muslim Barbie that came out recently. They are trying to produce a replica of a popular western fantasy item. Apparently most girls in Arabic countries would prefer the original blonde busty doll than the new toned down doll in a hijab.

I guess it's pretty hard to compete with western influence and competition.

Comments:
Yes 'The Samsons' (Arabic name for the Simpsons)has arrived. My kids watch it every evening. I wish they would have an Arabic family with typical Arabic values on instead. Globalization is creating 'one world with one view'. Very sad indeed as I can see the culture just evaporating before our eyes.

Fullah is the Musilm version of Barbie and she is extremely popular here in Libya. I think she is outranking Barbie in the popularity contests. Their is the same commercialization for Fullah too. Everything from Fullah clothes to toys to book bags and school supplies. My daughter Jenna wants everything with Fullah now.

Globalization!
 
Wow I'm trying to envision the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa becomes a vegetarian (with the flying roast pig) reworked for a Muslim audience. Can't quite wrap my mind around that actually.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here