Saturday, October 08, 2005

Canadian Thanksgiving!

Days have gone by and suddenly I noticed that I haven't blogged for quite a while. I am trying to remember hilights from this week -- it's pretty hard. How can you live your life and not really notice time going by?

What happened this week? I found out that Sarah quit her job and went to spend some time in Shanghai with friends. She may look for another job there, but has about 4 weeks left before her ticket to London on November 15th. It will be interesting to hear all about her adventure once she makes it back to Canada. When I told Dorothy and Zoe that Sarah may be back in November, Zoe said, "Well, it will be nice to see her, but it sure has been nice not having her using the bathroom". (Dorothy and I both nodded in agreement - Sarah is a pig).

Workwise, I have met some neat people and gotten to do some really interesting stuff. I met with a young woman and her ex and helped them to make a separation agreement that they were both happy with. I met a mom who is trying to get her daughter Canadian citizenship. Another day I met a man whose marriage of over 25 years ended and his ex wife got him to sign a very unfair separation agreement. And of course, more notary work which is always interesting. I also learned how to do a divorce, something which may come in handy at some point in more ways than one.

The sad thing is that most of the potential clients that I meet are going through something hard, something sad. They are often very upset or angry about the way their lives are turning out.

I feel very lucky that my life is going pretty well. Thankful I guess. Overall, our kids are reasonably healthy, doing ok in school and mostly not being too obnoxious. Eric and I get along pretty well most of the time. When we don't it's usually something very petty and the solution is that we need to spend more time together.

The man that I am working with has a son in his late twenties. His son has some type of cancer and the treatment is not working. He has been in the hospital for a few weeks and is getting weaker by the day. We are all so scared that he may not make it - - and his dad (and the family) are always saying positive things about how he will bounce back. I was wondering if I should talk to him at all about the possible death of his son and how he was handling it, so the other day I brought it up when we were alone. He said that his wife had talked to their son about it -- it was more her realm as she is a Minister with the Anglican church and does pastoral care visits all the time. I just can't imagine losing one of my children.

As time moves on, I try to focus some time each day on my various relationships, whether with immediate family members, close friends, etc. Owen and I have discovered a new online game that we both like (the legend of Zorro) and so he plays from the living room and I play from another computer in the house and we have fun pretending to be Zorro (or other characters in the game). Maybe it's a good thing to be able to relax and escape the worries of our daily lives.

Thanksgiving in Honour of Me

Tonight a few of us went out and met for a couple of beers -- theoretically to celebrate my birthday -- (it's actually tomorrow) but mostly just to get to know these people better. Actually the girl that I work with has a brother that we wanted to introduce to another woman that I know. He is shy and she is outgoing and I thought they might hit it off. I am not sure if they did, but I had a nice time.

Tomorrow I will be at church in the morning as I am on duty for the youth group. Then at lunchtime we are calling a meeting at my house of the "Thanksgiving Dinner Committee", composed of me, Eric, Dad, Dorothy and Zoe. We are going to prepare an 18 lb turkey, mashed potatoes, turnip, brussel sprouts, carrots, peas, corn, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy, buns. We bought some sauvignon blanc (my favorite wine) and have red if people prefer that. My friend Ruth and her dad will join us for dinner and she is bringing home made pumpkin pies. We also have a chocolate cheesecake which I chose as my favorite birthday dessert. It should be a nice relaxing get together with only about 8 people in attendance as Eric's kids are away, my mom is not available, my sister is out of town and my brother is elsewhere. We will probably play games and maybe go for a walk with the dogs if the weather is ok. It has been raining and cold quite a bit here this weekend after a whole week of hot sunny summer weather.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here