Friday, September 23, 2005

Teen Murdered, Police Searching Homes

When local teen Jennifer Teague went missing last week, the police mounted a huge search which included a door to door search of every home that was on the path she took on her way home from work late that night.

Meanwhile, ten days later, her body was found on a nearby trail, so now they are focusing on a murder investigation instead of a "missing person" investigation.

Many issues have come up in the community including whether a curfew would have prevented this tragedy (I don't think so, she was 18)... and whether it could have been prevented by her employer (Wendy's) if they had a "drive home" policy for staff going home after midnight. (I doubt it, especially if the person who did it was known to her).

On a related issue, today I was talking to some friends about the issue of police searches without warrants (either of your person or your house). My friend, who is a mom, said she would definitely aid the police and let them in her house if they asked. Her husband said that he would never let the police into his house without a warrant, or at least without a lawyer present. The basis for the argument was that you can't trust police officers who are under a huge amount of pressure to solve these crimes.

As a person who has witnessed huge violations of people's rights by the police, I tend to agree that you would want to have a neutral witness to any search of your house. On the other hand, as a mom, if a teen girl or child in my neighbourhood was missing, I certainly would want to help the police in eliminating suspects and finding the guilty party.

What do you think? If the police came to your door asking to search your home because of a missing child on your block, would you let them in without a warrant?

Comments:
Tough call! As a mom and a fine, upstanding citizen*, I probably would. My hubby, as a cynic with similar experiences of police misconduct, probably wouldn't.

*Said with a smirk. I mean yeah, we live pretty vanilla lives and I had a job at a state prison that required background checks and a clean lifestyle, so obviously I'm not TOO wild - but I prefer to think of myself as at least a little bit of a rebel, lol. Even so, they wouldn't find anything illegal going on here, so I'd be tempted to let them in. Besides, I'd be afraid that NOT letting them in would only make them more suspicious.

Interesting food for thought, here.
 
No Way!
I wouldn't let them in.
I'm as square as they come and have nothing to hide but I'd still want my lawyer present.Not having a lawyer there gives them too much power and some people might be tempted to abuse that power.

I'm also the queen of saying stupid things.A lawyer would prevent that.Left on my own..NO,lol,oh that'd be bad!

Guy Paul Moran,remember him?He said some stupid things,was arrested,charged with murder and spent years in jail as an innocent man.There was more to it that that of course,but the bottom line,he was innocent.The police were looking for a killer and did abuse their power and he went to jail.No thanks,you just never know...
 
I agree with Joe, by refusing you are probably letting yourself in for more grief than the few minutes of search would cause.
 
That is a tough call. My first instinct is to say no, get a warrant because I have little in the way of trust for our police force. That being said I'm just so sad about Jennifer I don't know really what I would have done.

On the curfew issue I'm glad someone else sees how ludicrous that idea is. Jennifer was a legal adult, and somehow I doubt her killer was a child either.
 
ok.. to be brutally honest, I would hesitate to let them in... because of the mess :P Other than that, no, I would let them in without hesitation. I know how the minutes count in an investigation like that and a person's life may be on the line.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
[ <5 | << | < | > ] Homeschooling Blogs [ >> | >5 | ? | # ]

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here